Friday, July 19, 2013

Nate in Venice by Richard Russo

Here are some things I love:
1. Venice
2. Richard Russo
3. Reasonably priced Kindle downloads
4. A man named Nate

So when I saw a Kindle Single called Nate in Venice by Richard Russo for $2.99, I couldn't push that "Send it to me right away" button fast enough.  This short novel is in some ways typical of Richard Russo's writing.  There is a wonderful main character, Nate, who is completely lovable and yet flawed.  And he is surrounded by a small cast of characters who are quirky and yet beautifully described.  As a reader, you feel you know these people, and I think every book Russo has written has these qualities.  Nate is a retired college professor who is on a tour of Italy with his brother, Julian.  Their relationship isn't good and we learn more about why throughout the book.  There's also a subplot about a Nate and one of his students, but unfortunately, I found this part of the book to be vague and incomplete.  There were lots of hints about the student, but there was no explanation as to what really happened and how Nate felt about it.  I did love the parts about Venice (although I wanted more!).  And I truly love the way this guy writes.  I think I'd read anything coming from him - and maybe I already have. It's definitely worth the money here.  -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always loved Richard Russo and the feeling remains true with this book. Looking forward to his next...