Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Good House by Ann Leary

I read a positive review about this book that made me think I'd love it.  So I downloaded the audio version to take on a road trip with me last week.  As the review stated, the narrator of the book, Hilde, is a feisty 60-ish New England woman.  She's outspoken and very independent.  Perfect.  I liked her right away.  And I thought I was in for a fun, witty story.  But what I didn't know is that there is this secret side to her life.  Hilde is an alcoholic.  Her daughters have conducted an intervention and she's completed rehab.  Yet, as often is the case, she doesn't really think she has a problem, and so she starts drinking when she's alone while she pretends to the world that she's staying sober.  The book is not just about her drinking.  There are other story lines that take place in her small coastal town where Hilde is a realtor.  There's an affair between two people and somehow Hilde gets involved, and there's a relationship Hilde has with one of the local men.  But the drinking gets in the way of all the other stories.  OK, I'll admit that my personal history caused me to grip the steering wheel every time Hilde would make yet another excuse for her drinking.  She had millions of them...... she had to drink to celebrate a sale, she had to drink to relieve her stress, etc.  So I can't say I enjoyed this book, but I can also see how others might.  -June

No comments: