Friday, July 5, 2013

The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro

What an interesting read!  I know nothing about art forgery (maybe this is a good thing?) and really not much about art.  But I learned more than I ever need to know about it from this book, and I found it fascinating.  The plot may be a bit contrived, but it kept me reading and enjoying.  Claire is an artist who paints reproductions for a living because her own art work has not yet been discovered.  She's approached to paint a reproduction of a Degas painting, and is told she's painting it from the original.  Because Claire is not only talented artistically but is also brilliant, she recognized that she's painting from a copy and she begins her research to find out the story.  All kinds of other interesting characters cross her path, and there's a nice satisfying ending.  What more can you ask for?  A great summer read. -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book. Like June said, more than you ever wanted or needed to know about art forgery. But I found all of that fascinating! (Did you know it could take up to 75 years for the paint to dry in some cases?) The pace was just my style and there are plenty of morality/integrity issues to contemplate.