Wednesday, February 19, 2014

On Canaan's Side by Sebastian Barry

Why haven't I heard of this author before now?  This book was recommended to me years ago, and so I added it to my Amazon Wish List only to forget all about it.  When I was able to download it from the library, I thought it might be an interesting vacation read.  Written from the point of view of an elderly woman, the story is of her life that started in Ireland and ended up in the Hamptons.  Her story is sad and tragic, but is so well written that I could hardly put it down.  The writing style is stream of consciousness which often is impossible to follow.  But Barry does a masterful job and I really will make an effort to read something else by him.  There are several major themes to the book - loss, war, friendship, and then more loss - and it's definitely worth a read.  -June

No comments: