Monday, February 3, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I cry in movies, but rarely do I cry when reading a book.  But during several scenes in The Fault in Our Stars, I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.  And while it certainly is a sad story - what can be more tragic than children dying of cancer or anything for that matter - it also is a story about hope and love and making the most out of your life.  The narrator is Hazel, a 16-year-old girl who is fighting cancer.  She meets Augustus at a cancer support group, and they become friends and then become more than friends.  As a parent, the hardest parts for me to read were the interactions that Hazel has with her parents.  They love her desperately and yet they know what is going to happen.  Their helpless devotion to her is touching.  I believe this is considered Young Adult literature, but I think it would have to be a mature teen to read this.  I highly recommend it.  -June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved it! Thanks, June!