Wednesday, February 12, 2014

This is a Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett

A year or so ago, I had the pleasure of listening to Ann Patchett speak at a local independent bookstore.  At the time, she was promoting State of Wonder, and she entertained a large crowd with stories and a book reading.  She's the kind of speaker who really shows their personality, and her openness and honesty made us all  love her immediately. 


So when her new book, This is a Story of a Happy Marriage, was released, I knew I would have to read it.  But instead, I ended up listening to it and that is even better.  Ann Patchett reads her own book on the audiobook, and it was like listening to her talk to me for the hours I drove/walked/cleaned/whatever as I listened.  This is a book of some of her essays and articles written over years.  Some were for magazines or newspapers, and a few were written just for this book.  Don't let the title fool you; the book isn't just about marriage, although several of the articles do touch on her personal stories and her relationships.  All of them were fascinating, but I have to say my very favorite is the story about Clemson University and the speech she gave there when her book Truth and Beauty was used for their freshman required reading program.  But I think you'll love them all, and I highly recommend finding the audiobook if you can. - June

No comments: