Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Obviously, I'm not a big reader of non-fiction.  But after listening to an interview with this author and reading some of the book reviews, I was anxious to read this one.  The story is all about the 1936 US Olympic Gold Medal Crew team.  They were just a bunch of kids attending the University of Washington - sons of farmers and blue color workers.  And they ended up competing against the east coast schools and ultimately went to Berlin and won in front of Hitler.  But history has ignored them up until now.  After the Olympics, they came home and finished college, got married, started families, and put those gold medals in the attic.

I learned a lot more about boats and rowing than I needed to know, but the author had obviously done his research.  The stories of the individual young men was well written and often heartbreaking.  I'm sure this will be a movie, but I almost don't want anyone to mess with this wonderful story.  Highly recommend.  -June

2 comments:

Dave said...

I agree, this was an excellent book. Initially it did not sound interesting to me, but I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed the story. Brown writes very well and obviously did his research.

I have heard that a movie is in the future.

Anonymous said...

"Based on a true story" sometimes yields a less-than-compelling work. However, I agree that this book is a winner (although June's comment that there was more about the boat than most people need to know or are interested in). AND, DAVE weighed in! Yay! I like having non-8's read June's blog and comment.
BT