Thursday, January 28, 2016

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Sometimes as I read a book, I ask myself periodically, "Will I recommend this book to friends?" (mostly you, BT) And as I read this novel, the answer was "YES... YES..... YES!!!" It is funny and sweet and well-written - and the characters are wonderful. So YES, BT and anyone else who reads this. This is definitely one to get.

Ove is a grumpy old guy. He doesn't like change, and he believes in living by the rules. Every morning, he walks around his neighborhood checking to make sure that the cars are properly parked, the bikes are correctly stored, and the garage doors are all locked. And if someone breaks rules, he's not at all timid about letting them know. He drives a Saab, and he's always driven Saabs and can't understand why anyone would drive anything else. Generally, he things most people are idiots. He's definitely a curmudgeon.  But this is a feel-good kind of book, and by the end, we see the softer side of Ove.

Get it. Read it. Report back. - June

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only do I love you, June, but I also loved this book. Ove reminds me of my brother-in-law Richard--knows how to fix anything and everything and figure out whatever needs figuring--all while pondering (somewhere between disgust and pity and resignation) why people just don't know how to do anything any more!!

Jean said...

I just knew you would love this book! It's my favorite for the year!