Friday, January 1, 2016

Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger

Some books grab me right away; others take time to pull me. This book was the pulling kind. In fact, I almost put it down. But once I got 1/3 of the way in, I loved it.

This is the story of one summer in the life of a family living in rural Minnesota in 1961. The narrator is Frank, a young boy, who lives with his brother, sister, mother and father, who is a minister. There's also a group of fascinating, rich character such as Gus, his father's friend from the war, and Emil, his mother's former boyfriend who is now blind and disfigured. At the heart of the story is a mystery, and there are several people who have secrets that are slowly revealed. But for me, the best part of the book was the love between the Frank and his brother and between Frank and his father. Just a feel-good, well-written novel. Recommend it. - June

No comments: