Thursday, January 14, 2016

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Recently, I had to drive a lot over several days and really wanted to listen to a good audiobook. I'd heard things about this one, but didn't know much about the plot or the characters. So what a wonderful surprise this was. It is quirky, funny, and just plain lovely. I loved hearing the narrator read with the voices of the characters, but I suppose if I had "read" the book instead of "listened" to it, I could have supplied my own voices in my head.

Bea is a young teenager living in Seattle with her eccentric mother, Bernadette, and her father who works for Microsoft. The story is supposedly a satire and it certainly does portray the Seattle lifestyle pretty well. You will learn at the beginning that Bernadette disappears, but it isn't until you are maybe 2/3 of the way into it that she actually does. For most of the book, you learn about the relationships in Bea's family and in their community.

Loved it. Read it. -June

No comments: