Saturday, April 15, 2017

Let's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell

Gail Caldwell and Caroline Knapp were close friends who enjoyed their dogs, rowing, swimming, and most of all, spending time with each other. Their friendship is the focus of this book, and it made me want to run to my friends and hug them (like you, BT). From the beginning, we know Caroline is going to die, and I kept reading waiting for the symptoms to appear. And when they finally did, I wanted to change the ending. Such a tragedy.

To be honest, I did feel that the book was longer than it needed to be. In fact, I think this would make a great article. In the first half of the book, I felt that the author told more stories than necessary to portray the friendship between the two women, and many of these stories were almost identical. However, I still enjoyed the book and recommend it. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book and wouldn't have shortened it. Although II can relate to June's comment, I think the fact that the author is best known (and "rewarded" for) her career as a critic and, therefore, her comfort zone probably is the "article." The development of their friendship is simply a splendid work of art!!! I want a friend like that even though the pain of losing one such friend is excruciating.