Monday, January 18, 2021

Anxious People by Fredrick Backman

From the very first page.....

This book is dedicated to the voices in my head, the most remarkable of my friends. And to my wife, who lives with us.

Anxious People is funny, quirky, heartwarming, and totally wacko. This is the fourth book by Backman I've read, and it isn't his best. But even at that, it still is definitely worth reading. His writing is so witty and clever that sometimes it almost gets in the way of the story. I was so enthralled with the way he wrote a paragraph that I would forget what the book was about and just focus on that one piece. You'll want to read it with a highlighter so you can go back and read those gems. It's hard to explain. And some of the dialogue is over-the-top crazy.

I will warn you that the first half is hard to push through because you are confused as to where it's all going. But it's worth it in the second half. The characters really come to life then, and that is where Backman is at his best.

I won't even try to tell you what the book is about but here's a partial list..... Parents and children, suicide, love, marriage..... oh yes, and a bank robber. Just read it and report back. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked this book but, apparently, not enough to remember I'd read it. So reordered via Library at which time I was informed that it was already a part of my Kindle Library. Oh, right. I read that. ha ha