Saturday, January 16, 2021

Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montemore

I can't remember the last book I read that was written in chronological order. It seems all modern authors use the same technique of jumping around in time and place, sometimes with the same characters and sometimes with other connections as we move through time. In this novel, the main character, Oona, actually lives her life out of order.

Every New Years Eve at midnight, Oona leaps to a different time in her life (remember Quantum Leap? Loved that show). There are some people in Oona's life who stay constant throughout these leaps, but most have no idea. It can be confusing but it is also kind of fun, and it's a quirky kind of read. I love creative ideas like this one, and I do recommend it.

My only complaint is that when Oona leaps into her 50's, much is written about how old she looks and the drawbacks of aging. I'm sure it would be a shock to be 19 one minute and 53 the next, but Oona constantly wanted to leap back to being young again. As an old geezer, this was a little offensive, but I do understand it too.

Give this one a try after you've read something heavy and deep. It will be a refreshing change. - June

No comments: