Tuesday, February 14, 2023

The Second Life of Mirielle West by Amanda Skenandore

One of the recurring questions we ask in my book club is this: Can you love a book but dislike the main character? I've always maintained that you can, but several members feel it is impossible. For this reason, I'm not sure I'll be recommending this book for my club. Throughout this novel, Mirielle is often a snobby, self-centered little bitch.

The book begins in the 1920's when Mirielle, the wife of a silent movie film star, is diagnosed with Hansen's Disease, AKA Leprosy. She is sent to Carville, a colony in Louisiana, where she is quarantined with other patients. Mirielle is convinced she was misdiagnosed or that she will be released quickly, and she also believes she is just better than every other patient there. Once she settles in, it seems that Mirielle will soften a bit and you might sense a change in her. But then her old snobby self comes roaring back. She spends a lot of time apologizing for her bad behavior.

However, I have to say I enjoyed the book immensely. I can remember as a child hearing about leper colonies, and I always imagined them to be somewhere far away and on some deserted island. I had no idea there were facilities in the states. The author has obviously done her research, and even invites readers to visit Carville which closed in the 50's but is still open for visitors. What I thought was most interesting about the book was reading about the lives of those living in Carville.... how they spent their time and what they did to build a community for themselves. While Mirielle might not be my favorite character, certainly several others in the book were very interesting and likeable. - June

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What Jean said...weird to recommend a book in which the protagonist, a hoity toity Hollywood wife, is quarantined with leprosy in a colony in Louisianna!